The Louisiana State Museum collects, preserves, and exhibits the art documents, and artifacts that comprise Louisiana’s collective memory and reflect the rich history and culture of this great state.
The Friends of the Cabildo is a non-profit organization that provides significant financial and volunteer support for the Louisiana State Museum, its projects and its properties.
Since incorporating in 1956, the Friends of the Cabildo has grown into a large statewide membership organization, a dynamic and motivating force in broadening and supporting the aims of the Louisiana State Museum.
Read the latest edition of our newsletter HERE.
- Provide significant annual monetary support to the Louisiana State Museum for its education and exhibition programs
- Maintain an active volunteer program that supplements the museum’s professional staff
- Operate the 1850 House Museum Store on historic Jackson Square
- Publish a series of distinguished award-winning architectural books on the historical districts of New Orleans
- Give daily walking tours of the French Quarter
- Offer a comprehensive training program for walking tour guides and museum docents
- Organize annual events such as the Spring Home Tour, Ghostly Gallivant and Creole Christmas, which raise funds for the Louisiana State Museum
- Offer various educational and members-only programming and events